Thursday, December 20, 2018

Roshi School of Training

When I first started getting back into shape I was looking for motivation and revisited what got me there the first time.  To be honest Dragon Ball was a huge inspiration.  Not the ridiculous stuff like wearing weighted clothing which would do nothing more than shredding your knees but the more grounded training.  Specifically the Turtle Style martial arts training system.

This actually did inspire a fairly lucrative form of cardio.  I was walking around for free like a chump when I began my quest to get back into super human shape.  Around this time wanting to get inspired I started reading through the Dragon Ball manga again when I got to the second major arc where Goku and Krillin train with Master Roshi.  Much of his teaching method involved doing chores and odd jobs to earn a little money while strengthening their bodies.

But how to get paid to walk?  How to make walking more of a challenge?  Put a lawn mower in my hands!  Now instead of walking for free like an idiot I was getting paid $20 - $25 an hour to walk.  The faster I pushed the mower the more jobs I could get done in an afternoon giving me an incentive and reward for working faster.

Scouting areas to pass out my business card became another opportunity for more cardio as I would scout locations on my bicycle.  Going to an area and walking around putting cards in peoples doors was another task to get me off my ass and doing more things.  My method would eventually to be named, in my head at least, as the Do more things and eat less bullshit method of training.  So far it's been highly successful and the funds earned from mowing lawns paid for most of my garage gym.


An important factor in Roshi's training is getting plenty of rest. When you're engaging in a lot of strenuous physical activity sleep is when recovery happens.  Make sure to get plenty of sleep.




Don't neglect those brain gains either.  In my 20's I read all the time in between sets, while resting and before bed.  This is sadly something I've fallen out of and need to get back into.  A new project I've been working on is practicing math in my downtime at work.  I haven't been very interested in math but I want to push myself and study the subject as far as I can take it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment